Monday, February 18, 2008

Doing that thing we do

So last night my guild and I went to do our routine inspection of Gruul's Cave and as usual finding it to not be as clean as expected, ended up spanking him and his cronies. One of our raid members theorized that the cave in was a result of Gruul's mom, who was apparently irritated by the noise being perpetuated by Gruul and his buddies and was simply asking them to quiet down while she watched the latest episode of Lost and pondered on how Walt had grown so big so fast.


Anyway, so we went in and were at an unusual lack of co-ordination, instead of our usual 1-shotting the place we took 2 wipes before taking down High King and 3 before successfully killing Gruul. It was unusual because we had most of our standard raid setup and raiders, but somehow it felt off, it could be a result of the last few weeks of raids getting cancelled due to Super Bowl, Valentine's Day and some folks quitting WoW to reconstruct whatever semblance of their life there is left to rebuild, but c'mon RL. Anyway thats a topic for another time.

It was a slightly disheartening evening too because I lost out on T4 shoulders for the millionth time, and this time to someone who has 2 other alts with T4 shoulders, and despite that individual claiming this to be his new main, it left much to be desired. Now in our guild, we have a non-DKP looting system, with basically everyone who can use the item rolls, and it is at the discrepency of the rollers to pass in favor of say tanks/healers. This is a result of our guild's fervent desire to stay away from the trap of becoming raiding centric.

Also our guild has a lot of level 70s, most of whom are not frequent raiders, and I have lost my T4 shoulders to first timers, despite having been there for each and every attempt by our guild. Which brings me to the thought that is plaguing me at the moment, At what point does a casual raiding guild need to pay attention to regular raiders over casual ones? Because last night when I saw the alt roll for the piece of loot, I initially refused to roll and only rolled at the insistance of my guild mates. I don't want to sound like a loot whore, but being one of the guild's main tanks, I am consistently pressed to increase my survivability and my lack of gear upgrades only makes it harder. I am infact geared mostly in badge reward gear, PvP gear, arena gear and rep reward gear with only 2 pieces of T4, trinket(Moroes) and my cloak from raids. I rarely ever find tank gear (being a feral druid), and since most of it comes from tiered armor I feel that at a point a guild needs to decide whether to continue gearing alts/casuals, since they too have a right to roll, or take a stance and gear the folks who are not only regular but also put in a lot more effort, but since that shows signs of a progression centered guild its unlikely in our case.

Also in our setup, as is inevitable, there are folks who don't take raiding seriously either, and as a result have unenchanted, ungemmed and sometimes green gear, which can make it even harder on the people who spend their time to enchant, gem and read up strats just so they can perform that much better, at that point is it still fair to follow the setup of roll for loot?

But all that ranting is simply an outlet. I love my guild and most of my guildies, even the cold hearted warrior who took my T4 shoulders, but sometimes I am left to wonder on whether whatever thing we do, we do right or wrong?


No comments: