Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hunter? Really?


From my previous post most if not all of my 1 readers have figured out that I recently rolled a hunter. Being one for the horde I would like to tell you to crush your fears, it is not a NE female (She is my level 1 farming alt who makes more than my level 70 LW/Skinner, mailbox dances evidently pay a lot, *insert random Eliot Spitzer joke here*). It is also not a BE. While trying to decide my race a lot of things went through my mind. Do I want the Troll's bow superiority, berserker, health regen etc, or do I want the Tauren warstomp and HP etc. Maybe even an AoE silence from a BE. In the end I chose neither and went for the only other horde option left, the original horde race from the days of Warcraft 1, an Orc.


Why an Orc?

To be frank the source of my inspiration is another hunter who flaunts his epeen a lot, though it wasn't the epeen that inspired us, but rather the fact that a good hunter transcends the stereotype of 'lol wut aer gans/bos?' and becomes an unstoppable killing machine, one who feels no pity, remorse and cannot be stopped unless killed. Oh yea, that also means I went BM. Hence my choice for an Orc, they have a +5% damage from pets besides the other useful racials, not to mention I wont feel tied down to a certain weapon simply because one is better for me.


Why a hunter?

For a while now I have been tempted to roll an alt, but I didn't seem to enjoy any of them. Rogue...meh, 'WAR'lock....to boring, druid...(wait thats my main). I had thus far refused to play a hunter....why? Well that goes back a long ways. When I was levelling my druid and was only 20 odd seasons in running through Ashenvale, I saw this fellow hordie warrior in trouble with a mob, and in my usual benevolent nature I healed him, he /bow /thank -ed me and we continued our separate ways. As I was resting after killing a mob only moments after I suddenly started taking damage from a cat~ish looking thing, one which I hadn't seen to date, and from a distance to add to my woes was an archer....WUT? Where the heck did they come from, moments later I was dead. It was the first time I had been ganked, unfortunately I later realized that the warrior I had healed was PvP flagged and as a result I had opened myself up for ganking. To make things worse it was one of those irritating NE female hunters with their stupid jumps. I came back, rezzed, drank, buffed up, hunted the hunter 3 times, killing her on each attempt,before letting her go. It was also my first experience with 'Free Honor'. Despite my anger getting dulled, by hatred for the hunter class persisted for a while. If anything BRK made me get over my dislike for the class and instead wonder at their awesomeness. It also made me realize that the only Alliance race I would ever play would be dwarf (well him and Ratshag both kinda convinced me to think such), I mean how can a race of people who drink and party and grow long beards be bad? Except for the women.....except for the women, but then again I'm an orc, its not like I have Miss Universe's coming from my society.


Why an alt?

With each successive patch I have noticed Blizzards tendency to mess around with core dynamics of a class. Thus far feral druids are fairly constant, but with a soon to come expansion I fear a lot will change and with 2 classes at hand, I will have a smaller chance to get screwed by the blue. Another fact not to be overlooked is that we will all be getting a free tanking class as well which could somehow reduce the need for my druid to tank and hence a dps would always be more useful. Besides I only log on to raid with my main and needed something else to do when not raiding. Plus I like guns, nuf said.


Picked a cool name I hope?

Arjun (See previous post for details), and I named my pet an uninspiring "Stripes". Its a durotar tiger whom I have already taught Claw 3, Bit 3, Growl 2 and Cower(which it came with).

How far in are you?

lolwut? Erm I mean, we are level 18 now. And making decisions about talent choices is getting hard. I really want to take Spirit Bond and Improved Revive pet, but BM veterans say otherwise. I have only had my pet die on me twice, and only because we pulled badly and ended up with 4 mobs over my level at the same time. I still killed 3 on both occassion and got the 4th low on health before being killed myself. I have fairly good pet control but its me wild arrows and pellets I'm worried about. Though for the most part I have an understanding of a good cookie cutter build, but with none of them incorporating some of the talents I'm interested in I need to do some more research to understand why. Because the way I see it Spirit bond helps keep both me and my pet up with constant regen, while Imp. Revive pet helps me recover quickly from an Oh-Shit situation. On the other hand there are so many other talents that are useful as well.....oh well I'm sure I'll find a way around this.


Professions?

Miner and Engineer. More on that later.

Any Advice?

Be fearsome....no seriously, even locks will cringe when they see you.

I'll keep posting an update on my hunter as time goes by, along with raiding updates and successes and tanking strats if necessary, but seeing how so many other bears have it covered I find it unlikely that they have left any stones unturned. For those more inclined leave me a comment on anything in particular you want me to talk about, and I'll give it a go.

No comments: