Friday, March 7, 2008

Lurker....O how I loathe thee


Last night my guild and I went into SSC to try and down the "Lurker Below". I was fairly excited because last week we had him down to 19% and the only reason we had stopped was because of repops and time. Now seeing that we got him to 19% lends me a lot of confidence in our ability to down the sucker and move onto bigger and better things. So I log on 10 mins late (I wouldn't normally do that but because of certain circumstances I can't log in any earlier and have made sure to let my guild know about that, also being one of the 2 best geared tanks in our guild I am allowed some leverage) and I see that there are a total of 19 people who are there, 10 mins late and technically still early.

Even so another 30 mins in we manage to scrounge up our raid group and fill it up. What disappoints is that most of these people knew they were going to come to raid yet they couldn't mention that they would be late or make any effort to show up on time. This led to a lot slower clearing of the trash and eventually after 4 or so attempts (followed by some horrible lag resulting in 2 d/cs and consequently 2 deaths for me) we called it a night.

This was disheartening to say the least. We were no closer this week to downing him than we were the last. In fact if anything we had only managed to widen the gap. I also notice a tendency amongst some players to get so disheartened by a raid and possibly their repair bills to not show up again until we have that content on farm. I understand the lure of easy epics but the lack of effort and perseverance amongst so many is sad. Same was the way with our Gruul's runs early in the days, we would have trouble filling the raid until we finally had him on farm, now people are logged in and waiting outside his lair for the invites to start.

My question to this is.....what makes for a good motivational factor outside of DKP and such for this circumstance.

One thing that comes to mind, which has no effect on looting is this. Give points to regular raiders for every non-farm raid, e.g Lurker in our case, get 10 points per attempt. Now once the boss is on farm, raid priority should be given based on said points. So say one raider makes it for 10 attempts and another makes it for 5 then the raider with more attempts has priority over the raider with 5, and indirectly a better chance at loot, yet not related to DKP or other such looting methods. Once on farm no more points are accumulated. Now as one of main tanks and a really good dps-er I am personally not worried about fighting for a raid spot, but hopefully this should convince more people to come. Also this can be extended to additional activities like showing up on time etc, similar to DKP except they simply are a meter to allow raid attendance on farm content. I'm calling it the Argonaut's Algorithm =D.

I am considering suggesting this to my guild but would like to hear more thoughts on this or any other ideas that may be out there. Leave a comment if you have any suggestions.

No comments: